When things go wrong

Home improvement agencies do all they can to ensure you receive a good service from them. However, very occasionally, things may go wrong and as a result you may be dissatisfied.

We would expect the agency to do all it can to resolve the problems at an early stage, so it is important to let the agency know as soon as possible if you have any concerns about the service you are receiving.

Who should I complain to?

If you have a complaint, you should first contact the person you have been dealing with at the home improvement agency or, if you do not want to do that, contact the manager of the home improvement agency directly.

All home improvement agencies have a proper complaints procedure that they will be happy to explain to you.

What should I do if my complaint has not been resolved?

Foundations encourages all HIAs to have an independent external arbitration procedure in place. This means an external independent expert will look at the complaint impartially and make a decision. If you are still unhappy with the decision, you can arrange your own independent survey or look at making a legal challenge to the decision.

The complainant always has the right to seek the advice of an independent surveyor, and/or take legal action, but the costs of this would be borne by you.

If the staff of the home improvement agency concerned are employed by your local authority, you may also be able to take your complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman. Again, you can only do this if you have given the local authority every opportunity to put things right.

Below is a fact sheet for people with disabilities (or someone caring for them) who are experiencing problems with adaptation to their home and may be considering making a complaint to the Ombudsman.

Complaints about housing adaptations for people with disabilities